Fancy Plecos are the newer plecos becoming available from dealers. Prices can range from $15-$200. Many places only offer common plecos, so some people don't even know these fancy plecos exist. They have names like the Galaxy Pleco, Royal pleco, Gold Nugget Pleco, and Queen Arabesque. Some of them grow huge like the Royal, and others top out at a few inches like the recently popular Zebra. Some are herbivores and some carnivores, while still others eat anything and everything. Below are some images of some common fancy plecos.
Choosing your Fancy Pleco:
- Avoid those with a sunken belly, or sunken eyes.
- Try to get one that has been eating in the store. With some gnawed vegetables are a good sign, whereas others you may need to ask about.
- Acclimate slowly, and make sure your conditions match the needs of the fish.
- Most Fancy Plecos prefer very clean water, slightly acidic and soft.
- Quarantine... These fish should always be kept separate from tank mates for a few weeks. Firstly because many are wild caught and could be carrying almost anything. Secondly so that you can be sure they are eating.
Feeding: (some carnivores, some herbivores)
- Tetra Min Tropical Granules
- Sinking Tablets
- Algae Wafers
- Shrimp pellets
- Zucchini / Cucumber
- Frozen Bloodworms
- Frozen Brine Shrimp
- Lettuce (Romaine)
- Standard Flake
- Algae (good source with additive feeding)